Thursday 5 January 2012

What's another year

Johnny Logan... What a poet


Yep it's 2012, the start of another year. I'm not one for actually counting the years so much. I guess every day is the start of a new year (at least from that date) But I'll throw my anachronistic view of time and tell you about anniversary-a 20th anniversary no less.

Twenty years ago this Christmas, an immoveable object met an irresistible force


The Kid on the left is one Aidy Miller, the other is yours truly. We both found ourselves in HMP Hindley in the Christmas of 1991. I have never forgotten his name... I've never forgotten it because he broke my jaw. He blindsided me, the rest as they say, is history.

I like to think that I'm not one for feeling sorry for myself. Drinking milkshake through a straw on Christmas day inside, is not one of the high points of my life, I'll admit.

My old man used to Joke that your first 50 years are the hardest. I'd say it was my first 20. For some reason, this year, I thought I'd try and find out how Aidy was doing.

I don't think time changes you, I think events change you. I may have met my Waterloo when I met Aidy but within five months I had met Diane. I feel no malice towards Aidy now. From what I can gather we were both born in to trouble and I managed to get out. As much by luck as design, I got the breaks or I took the breaks.

So for Aidy 20 years on he's spending another Christmas Inside and he's a fair few to go. When you've spent your whole life in trouble, what's another year.


Happy New Day

No comments:

Post a Comment