Wednesday 6 February 2013

People Like Us


There's a new fly on the wall documentary tonight on BBC 3 focusing on the lives of the people of Harpurhey in Manchester. It's a place I know well, I only live down the road from it now. I went to school with kids from Harpurey, knocked around with kids from Harpurhey. It's only a couple of miles out the city centre. I guess its most famous for being the home of the late Bernard Mannings "World Famous" Embassy club.  It did earn itself the label of being the poorest place in England a number of years back, but to my mind Harpurhey is a typical inner city area of Manchester.  The Doc will include Monsall and Moston which border Harpurhey but are essentially the same place as far as life goes. Both mine and Diane's parents are buried at the cemetery on Mostan Lane, where much of the doc is set around


I'll be interested to see how this is handled, from the clips I've seen it looks like it's going to go down the My Big Fat Gypsie Wedding, route. I'm sure there'll be some tender moments, some humor too. But there's going to be some sneering.

"BBC Three spent a crazy summer with the young people of Harpurhey"



I remeber it being pretty wet really

No comments:

Post a Comment