Thursday 24 March 2011

Luke Kelly - Raglan Road

For Sean & Diane (again)




Thanks again Ken.

Us Irish are scattered across the four corners of the earth.
There's an inherent melancholy in us, part of that is due to a feeling of displacement, one that's passed down. Singing has always been a big part of Irish culture. I've seen many a tough Irish man & woman express feelings through song that you would never get out of them in conversation.

The tune that can be heard in Raglan Road is from a beautiful old Rebellion song (ooooh politics)

The Maiden Is Ire, The Dawning Of The Day is when she's free







That song was written along time ago. I've heard it many times, I've had sang to me countless times, it was a different time. The new generation of young Irish people leaving Ire for economic reasons will have that feeling of displacement. I wonder what Songs they'll have to pass down

Better not be the fecking script!

2 comments:

  1. Born in Bergen. Luke gives me something.

    The Dubliners . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I mean they are great! My brother in law ( Martin) sang these songs.

    ReplyDelete