Friday 4 November 2011

Or something to remind me




This is a shot of an old picture that was taken around 55/60 years ago. I recon most people will have shots like this somewhere in the attic or in an album. I'd never seen the old lady before in the center until I first looked at this picture in 2007, or the young boy, same for the girls. Well, apart from the girl on the left that is. It's my Mother Rosie

The old lady was my Grandmother, Hanna. The other girls are my aunts, the boy's my uncle. There's more of them, there was actually twelve of them. Once my Mother left Ireland, she was gone from their lives forever. She existed only in photographs and memory for them. We knew the woman, they knew the girl and she remained that for them in the photographs they kept of her. Never growing older than 18

In 2006 the boy in the photograph turned up at my brothers door. My brother had been trying to trace Ma's family and had left his details at a convent in cork. This ended up in the hands in my Uncle, and the rest as they say...

This is a shot from Danyy's wedding (my brother) last year. The fella on the right is the boy in the Photograph. He's Name is Maurice (Mossie for short)




I was raised just two miles from Manchester United Football ground, all our family are reds. My uncle mossies son just happens to be

For years he'd been coming to Man-U to watch his son play and looking for his sister without success, not knowing her family were just two miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment