Friday 11 November 2011

What do you photograph?

A friend of mine asked me this question tonight and I found it very hard to answer.

I've been photographing stuff so long now that I can not remember when it all began. I have shots of scout days which would date it round about me being 8 years old, anyway, it's always been my way. I guess it's been mostly family and friends and pets. The usual stuff.

Now and again I come across a shot that gives me a double take. This one of my Dad was such a common scene to me after he'd come back from work and slept in the chair. We never really talked, not even when he was retired and moved to Norway. This was what I saw most nights and I'd be about 13 years old.





This one is me tucking in to a good salad.



Here is one of my old contact sheets. It's funny to see how I've not changed that much. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.



And, this is why I photograph. This is Martin, my Norwegian brother in law in his most favourite place, and I think I got "the shot". It's not set up, just a quick snap. He's dead now, but this photograph makes him still alive to me.



Martin H Matre

Edit:

Just take a look at this:

My Tour - Kringlebotn


Kras

3 comments:

  1. The portrait of Martin is superb,you don`t need any other explanations on why you take pictures or what you photograph.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well like they say, brother Smith. Photographs take you there

    It's a melancholy trip and if you can't or don't want to put it in to words. Put it in your
    pictures


    "A high-back chair, he sits and stares
    A thousand yards and whistles marching-band
    Kneeling by and speaking up
    He reaches out and I take a massive hand
    Disjointed tales that flit between
    Short trousers and a full dress uniform
    And he talks of people ten years gone
    Like I've known them all my life
    Like scattered black & whites
    I come back here from time to time
    I shelter here somedays
    I come back here from time to time
    I shelter here somedays"

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my fave painters is Munch, his stuff always carried a melancholic feel for me.

    Photography really does take you there, you've only got to look at that shot Roy's son Jonas did. We look at it now, and we will look at it forever . . .

    I'm crap with words, as you know.

    I wish I could explain my photos. Had to Google those lyrics. Elbow, nice!

    Martin was the closest non family I'd ever been.

    A look here in Norwegian but it does not matter what language you have, an NRK TV of the place he loved, and he truly loved that place.

    http://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/481741/

    Ken

    ReplyDelete