Sunday 15 April 2012

At The Beecroft

Yesterday I went to the opening day of the excellent Thames Delta at The Beecroft to wander round a history of local bands since the fifties. Was a good collection of the band's ephemera. I never really got into the local band scene when I was younger. I left Southend when I was 18 and came back when I was 25 and there was nothing I could really connect with even though I grew up in the place.

Hobbling round I met Les and his friend Brian. We chatted for a long time and it turns out he knew some of my Dad's old art mates in the early days, maybe they even knew eachother. Les is an artist and art teacher from Southend and it was a real pleasure meeting him. Les is 84 plus some more, his friend Brian was great too.





Les Shaw & Brian Parker


Ken

4 comments:

  1. that is Brian {the dancer} Parker: he's also an artist and part of the little gallery next to the Beecroft:
    Les Shaw used to teach me life drawing at Southend Tech: master of the double faded denim look:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the name of Les's friend Dee . . . real characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots,they look like real characters..:-)

    ReplyDelete