Wednesday 15 June 2011

The passage of time

The second you've took a picture it becomes history. The question is... Who is that history important to? The maker? The people captured? The viewer? More often than not it's going to be the first two, but when the first two no longer exist we're left with the viewer.

The street I grew up on 1900
The street I grew up on 2006

The next street where my sister lives 1898
The same street today

(They changed the name of my sisters street from Sanitary Street to Anita Street in the 60's due to residence complaining about the name. It got that name because it had sanitation! the poor had never know the like. The block in the background is Victoria Square "The Dwellings" The first council block in the whole of Manchester)


The street I grew up on being built in 1898
(We'll have to wait a hundred years to get a shot of them being knocked down)

The recent shots have yet to attain any historical value. That'll take a while unless they meet with disaster (anybody that has a shot of the twin towers would testify to that). The older pictures are actually better pictures but not by a long way, it's really the history that trumps the modern shots. I was only on those streets last night, I might hang those old shots on the wall, for me they have historical value. In me they have the right viewer, a sympathetic audience. As pictures in there own right they'd hold little interest to your average viewer, the modern versions have none at all, even to me.

That's going to take time... more than I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment