Saturday 18 June 2011

The street I grew up in

Following on from Sean's post about growing up and belonging I had to post this. It's me about 12 or 13 in our street in Westcliff. Things were so much different then than today. No where near what I think my mate Sean went through growing up though.

I drove up my old street today, and the funny thing was, it's not changed much, if at all. The old flats in the background have changed. I should recreate the snap sometime.

Dee mentioned invisible maps in our minds one time. We all have our different routes to going back home. Thanks Dee . . . been thinking a lot about that and it has huge potential I think. I love that idea.

Anyway, Ailsa Road, my road . . . . and thanks to Dave Cheskin for shooting this.


Me - Circa 1976

Kras

3 comments:

  1. great photo: I'd forgotten about those flats:
    I used to work in a jewish hotel nearby and walked past them all the time:
    notice the lack of cars and the brick wall that is so characteristic of this area:
    yes you should recreate the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those flats were derelict and Dave and I used to go in exploring. How I wish I'd taken some shots, but you just don't think about it at the time.

    Drove past here again today dropping Chris off after the Leigh Festival. Need to park up and wander and shoot . . . hopefully Angie will get the "now" shot.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I first read Alfred Korzybskis, quote

    "The map is not the territory"

    It struck me that you could apply that to both a photograph and memory. Each is only a version of an encounter. A memory like a photographs meaning can change over time...Just like we do

    ReplyDelete