Sunday 11 December 2011

Grandparents

It was a rare meeting for me with the grandparents. I reckon it was about 4 or 5 times in my early life, before 10 years old and I remember them both.

One of those times my Granddad spoke English, "No drugs, no alcohol" . . . I still hear his voice in my ear at times. I wear his wedding ring (I twist it and remember), I have a shot of us together on Westcliff Jetty. I have cine film of us racing round on a trike in the Westcliff garden. It was only later I realised how hard his life was being a fisherman from up North Norway, fishing the Iclandic waters.




My Grandparents


Ken

2 comments:

  1. Everything about this portrait suggests strength and dignity but it's also a life tale. They have now passed so the picture has taken on a new meaning. They're sat on a ferry, the shades on the lady look like two coins, two coins for the ferryman. The debt it paid, the water's calm, they cross it together in peace, a fitting reward for a man of the sea and the woman that loved him.
    A deeply beautiful photograph

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are bang on Sean. I am so pleased to have this neg. A very precious photograph shot as a snap and caught a beautiful moment. The next one on the roll is quite different.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete