Friday 23 December 2011

An old suitcase full of photographs

When I was a little kid my parents had an old suitcase filled with Dad’s loose photographs  and I would spend many a time looking through them. They were good photographs and this was before I’d become interested in photography and I wonder if seeing them had an influence on me in the future. I think it has.

I’ve recently started scanning and cataloguing my Dad’s negatives. It's a time consuming process and time well worth investing. Over the last couple of weeks I have found that I’ve become closer to my Dad than ever before. Of course it is too late now to have a chat with him about the photographs and the people in them. I have chatted with Mum and last night I asked her if she still has that old suitcase full of photographs and she said she did.

These two photographs of Mum, Dad and my sister Kina are from before I was born taken in their tiny one bedroom flat in the centre of Bergen, Norway. I have only spent one Christmas in Norway and that was back in 2003. It was a good time. I did have a feeling that that was going to be the last ever Christmas my family had being all together. And I was right.

My thoughts are especially with my Dad this Christmas.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a peaceful new year.









 Dad - Christmas in Solheim, Norway 2003


Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment