Thursday 26 March 2015

It didn't look like that from here

The sky up here was full of light grey clouds during the eclipse. Thankfully there was plenty of breaks in the cloud to see the eclipse in all its celestial glory. But lets face it, the surrounding sky itself looked quite dull. I stopped the shutter down on the camera to capture the eclipse, not to make the sky more dramatic, but that is of course what it did happen in some of the shots. 

People who have seen the pictures have said. “Wow…It didn’t look like that from here!”. Even my partner in crime said much the same. I was quite surprised that she did not know that what a camera sees and what we see are not necessarily the same thing. 

On Tv, an eclipse usually looks quite dramatic. Before I understand exposure I always thought it just looked more dramatic in different parts of the world, but I know different now. How disappointed I wonder were those kids that had only seen one in pictures or TV before? 

The real wonder is the eclipse itself, not the clouds. 

The end looks nigh

I made my way to Egypt

It didn't look like that from here, either.



"Nature will reveals herself as she is"
Richard Feynman

When shooting eclipses or people, it might be worth remembering what Ferdinando Gonzaga, the 17th centuryDuke of Mantua said to the painter who painted the portrait of his wife, Christiana.

 “You have depicted her better than any other,” since you have improved and embellished her looks without diminishing her likeness.”


 Sean

1 comment: