Friday 28 January 2011

Going mobile (or loco)

Further to my big old moan about studio photography I thought I'd post about what I got up to on my day off yesterday.

I decided to go up to see my pal Trev and get some shots of him. I always like shooting Trev, he's an interesting guy and we're good friends. Trev doesn't live by life's rules, he pretty much does his own thing. That's not to say it's an easy ride, it isn't; It's a hard bumpy ride that he wouldn't recommend to many

Not unlike the two buses I had to get up to his pad. I took a light stand, my ezybox and camera gear with me. I had to wait 20 minutes for the second bus and as I maneuvered my three separate items to my seat I started to see the attraction of a studio*.


Another thing Trev tends to ignore is the concept of time ( I call it Trevor time). I had to wait 30 minutes for him to arrive at his pad. "I could have a cup of tea in a studio" I thought to myself. I always forget to arrive late as he's never on time, it's a lesson I never learn.

Two bus trips in the cold, lugging the gear around and waiting outside for half an hour. Why do I do it?


 Because it's  worth it
                                                                                     
                                                                            *It passed         


 I don't mind buses actually and my stand and ezybox's combined weight's about 4lb


Trevs pad my studio



I don't really like pretty pictures- well I don't like prettiness for prettiness sake. I'm the same with lighting really. I prefer natural light or available light but if I'm going to create it myself, I want it unobtrusive. It's an aid to let the subject do the talking the subjects not about clever lighting. It's just a tool and using it with restraint takes discipline.


I've by no means mastered it, I could have brought more lighting with me, but I  brought all I needed. What I really like is when I'm reminded that the best light's the one you take for granted. The next time you try to take a pretty picture of someone or something you care about. Take a step back and really look. sooner or later a photograph will emerge... You just have to be there to witness it.                                   

Not an easy ride


Two posts for the price of one, lighting and navel gazing. It's probably due to hypothermia from yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment