Sunday 23 January 2011

It ain't heavy

I went hiking yesterday with Diane. I've been up in Saddleworth many times before, shot up there many times before. The vast majority  of  shot have been the kind of shots you use a compact for only I don't own a compact, I have one camera and all's it does is take pictures, it's  all I want. I'm not interested in HD video, I guess in a few years times when I buy a new camera it'll be hard to find cameras that just take pictures.

My camera weighs about 3lb 2oz,  not a small weight for a hike. I stuck my 50m on and took my  flashgun & a set of pocket wizards which brought it up to about 5lbs. I knew that if I was going to shoot anything, it would be Diane. I wasn't going there to shoot pictures, I was going hiking, so why lob an extra 5lb in weight when you might not even take a picture? If you're only likely to be taking snap shots, why bother taking 5 grands worth of gear with you. You're not going to capture anything major


For two reasons.

1

I might do one day,  really I might. If I reached in to my bag and came out with just my hands, I'd be fucked right off. Once on a hike we came across a love letter in a plastic sheaf written by a bereaved lover. I don't know the manor of the lovers death, whether it had come early or late in life wasn't clear, nor were some of the rain damaged words. What was clear was the rain could not erase the the sense of loss expressed by the author. The placed where it was left meant something to them, it's a place we love and we felt for them. Alls I had with me that day was my hands which I used to place the letter out of the wind and rain.

2

It's my only camera

Sean

2 comments:

  1. what a beautiful sentiment, leaving a love letter to the wind:
    and a sensitive shot:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kras and Keane said...
    Hey,

    Thanks for being our first ever poster!

    One of my favourite photographs is a very simple shot of a letter from Alec Souths Niagara. No visual tricks, everything you need to see is right there in the letter. It seems simple but a work that steps back and lets the subject do the talking is a rare and complex thing.

    http://www.alecsoth.com/niagara/pages/Niagara37.html

    Sean

    ReplyDelete