Wednesday 22 April 2015

It's all a blur


For some Canon shooters the most prised set of lenses amongst primes shooters is knows as.
'The Holy Trinity'.

The lenses are:
The 35mm F/1.4 L
The 85mm F/1.2 L
The 135mm f/2.0 L


You're going to get lots of talk about ultra sharp at one end and buttery smooth at the other. They are very traditional focal lengths. My 35mm and 135mm hasn't been updated in years, and predate digital. the 85mm has been updated but not dramatically. I have the (none L) 1.8 version of the lens.

I began to take photography more seriously when I started looking in to its history. I was drawn to pictures of peopleor things that pertained to the human condition. I found my heroes and my guides and bought the tools that I thought would help me make my own statements. I guess you'd call the shooters that I most idtentified  with the ''F8 & Be There'  photographers. The Street shooters and the PJ's where content and context is everything.

One of my very favourite photographers is the late W Eugene Smith who famously said.
"What use is having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling"

I'm not much of an Ansel Adams fan but he had a point when he said.
"There's nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept"

I can't find a insightful quote about the current obsession with  blur.



Zzzz











2 comments:

  1. Love the post Sean! I'll have a good think why I decided to sell on the 500mm Mirror . . .

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assuming somebody doesn't need the cash, some simple questions might be

    What am I not getting from the lenses I already own
    Will this new lens provide it
    Is it suited to my photography
    Is it worth it

    Sean



    ReplyDelete