Saturday 18 April 2015

Testing old lenses

By far the most popular things I sell are vintage lenses. I like to test them all out if I have the time. I gave some time to a Russian 500mm mirror lens and I'm not quite sure I like it. My instinct tells me that I should love it. It's a bit of a beast with manual focusing at such an extreme focal length.

Took it out today and I'm still not sure. The Bokeh (I'm not keen on that word) is unusual in the way it does circles, which I like. Usually fixed at f8 there are some good results to be had with these lenses with a subtle approach.

Six feet away this blackbird had a bath while out testing, is he telling me something?




Ken

2 comments:

  1. I'm sat on my sofa watching a blackbird bath in our water feature right now - If I move it'll fly away. So I can't shoot it

    I'm going to paraphrase Robert Adams, in - Beauty In Photography

    " The Birds Are Always Marvellously Dressed"

    I'll think some more on Bokeh

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man we all have to a meet up soon!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete