Tuesday 21 April 2015

Not A Matter Of Life & Dof



I typed four paragraphs about Bokeh (aka the Out Of Depth of field area of pictures) before thinking better of it and deleting it. That's 60 minutes of my life I won't get back, but I've saved anybody reading this a boring five minutes. I'm not going to write about it

I'll show you what I mean


Ohhhhh Buttery Smooth Bokeh. Shame about the model

 Grave of my parents

Diane getting in the way of my blur

Grave of Diane's parents




Sean


Update:

Famed Bokeh Lens

The 135mm F/2.0 L that I used for these pictures is a famed lens with Canon shooters. Lot’s of people like to get ‘Background Separation' with this lens by opening up the aperture to F/2.0. 

I  just  like to be able to still shoot in tough light. If I take somebody out to shoot them and then begin to separate them from their background, I usually conclude that I must have taken them to the wrong place. If It’s a found picture, say in a bar or on a street, I'm obviously there because that’s the environment where the things I like to shoot are to be found, that's the environment I love. Why would I want to blur that away?


The camera and lens is a heavy old 5.5lb combo . It was twilight in late December, the light was fading, I’m not muscle bound. I shot at F/2.0 so I could get  comfortable shutter speeds. The 'Bokeh', 'Background Blur' 'O.D.F' area in the pictures are a consequence of the conditions I was shooting in, not really an aesthetic choice at all. 

A good read on depth



4 comments:

  1. what he said ^
    who invented that stupid word anyway?
    it's depth of field innit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too Kind, guys. I don't actually care for the pictures if I'm honest. ( A post for another day)

    I believe it's Japanese, Dee - Only the h was added by english speakers to help with pronunciation.

    Cheers, Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are certain vintage lenses that can be adapted for the DSLR's or bridge cameras that have quite a unique style of out of focus (I'm not using that word Bokeh . . . damn! :) )

    When I shoot things in the garden background is as important as the subject, always has been for me. Ponder, ponder . . . .

    Ken

    ReplyDelete