Friday 16 March 2012

Reasons to pick up a camera

Blogging is hard, man. It's especially hard when you're a semi literate kid (Mancs call 8 & 80 year olds, kid)
like yours truly. Helps if you've got things that you're passionate about, gets me through the mental gymnastics I've got to go through to even make a post of this length.

That passion has been  missing of late, hard to pinpoint why, I say missing, I really mean neglected. Reasons to pic up a camera are all around me, I've got more access to good subjects than most. Tue I'll be sat in court waiting to see what sentence my nephew will receive. He was been found guilty of two street robberies
and the odds are he's going down but you can never be sure.

I know for certain that he's innocent on at least one count but I know he has been robbing people on the street. He's been on curfew for months with a tag on his leg and he's stayed out of trouble and been going to college which of course will please the court. But you can never tell what the outcome will be, I've been through and seen enough people go through enough court doors to know that.

Not one picture have I took of him showing the tag on his leg. Not a single picture relating to his curfew or his efforts to stay out of trouble. He takes shelter from the chaos of his mothers house for my younger sisters most days,he leaves himself just enough time to jog home before his curfew kicks in.

I've one picture of him, just one, one that's on this blog.  I see things on a daily basis and fail
 to record them, for reasons I don't fully understand, maybe it's loyalty, maybe I'm too close, maybe I know it doesn't change lives. Whatever the reason, it has zapped me of my energy for commercial photography. I'm meant to be making a living from commercial photography, I packed my job in to do that. I'm not broke but if I carry on like this I very soon will be. Time will tell if I will make even a half decent commercial photographer. I want to make a living, I have to make a living. Somehow I've got to balance my need to eat with my need to make sense of what I see. Either way, that's going to mean picking up a camera. Which is what I did today




More on that, over the weekend



Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment