Monday 9 May 2011

The seldom seen kid



I hadn't seen the lad on the left of this Picture in 21 years until last week.
He hadn't changed a bit. He hadn't changed because Ian took his own
life when he was 18 years old...


"Ian McKinley was transferred from Strangeways prison to Hindley. He spent the whole seven weeks between his transfer and his death in solitary confinement. During that time, he was never assessed for suicide risks by a doctor, nor was he seen by a psychiatrist. That was clearly a completely inadequate response to his needs."

The above was taken from a debate held in the house of commons in 1991



For 21 years I've been using memory alone to remember what Ian looked like. That
is until his sister sent me this photograph, last week.

"We need to help youngsters to face the consequences of their actions and make plans for their future when it is found necessary to remand them. There must be proper recognition of the problems facing youngsters when they leave remand to return to the outside world. Many have no homes to go to, no jobs to support them and no family to fall back on. It is clearly an inadequate and short-sighted response to turn the key and with it turn our backs on their lives."

18 Months after Ian's death In Hindley, I'd leave the same prison with a broken jaw and my world in a plastic bag.

More on that tomorrow



2 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine what you felt like when you saw that shot of your mate Ian come through after all these years. Such a sad story. I don't know what to say . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Ken

    I have no idea who the other two are, I don't know where that shot was taken or when. He looks about 15 there. Reminds me of Ian Curtis in that shot because of how he's dressed

    ReplyDelete