Wednesday 6 July 2011

Ask

Eddie


Some of the very best street & none street photographers were/are very shy. Robert Doisneau's first shots were of torn posters and cobbled streets, he was too shy to shoot people. Later you can see people shot from a safe distance but balanced perfectly with the working class (just thought I'd get that in) neighbourhoods of Paris he loved.

"When it comes down to it, constraint's no bad thing. My shyness censored me, and I took people only from a distance. As a result, there was space all around them"



People don't know it, or don't believe that I'm shy. I work around it in funny ways, like I don't mind speaking to a room of 200 people but other times I'm too shy to go to a BBQ. Anyway...

This isn't a street shot, it's a portrait. This is Eddie from Kirby Lonsdale. Had a pint with Eddie and took some portraits of him. I would never of got this shot without asking. And while I do recon it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, there are times when you can work around it.


Bit like shyness really





2 comments: