Wednesday 20 July 2011

Tanks

That's just a paddies way of saying thanks


f/4/.0 1/10 sec iso 200 with lights


Edit: About the shot


Well it's just a snap shot style shot to say thanks. There are some little clues that it's lit.


f/4.0 1/10 Sec iso200 without lights

That's the bed without lighting. To my eyes the scenes much brighter. But our old peepers have much more dynamic range than our cameras. Trick is is to try and use lighting to bring the scene in to the dynamic range of the camera as without the lighting I'd have been pretty much in shadow. Subtle, unobtrusive, natural blah blah.  Need two lights for that, one for the bed and one for me. The shutters so slow because it's the shutter that controls the ambient light (the lamps basically). It looks more how it did to my eyes.


I know it's techie and I seldom if ever talk about photographs in those terms and brother Smith doesn't use lighting, so why bother? Might be useful to someone, was to me when I learned it.

3 comments:

  1. You're welcome mate. Don't you think the front cover shot is just the bollocks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's where you are a master. It just doesn't look set up, you know how to mix and match. As for me . . . truth be told I'm too lazy to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's not what you'd call dramatic lol But there wasn't any need for it. I'm no master I'm grasshopper!

    It's not that you're lazy pal you just use available light so on a need to know basis I guess you just don't need to know. But knowing the dynamic range of your camera is a must regardless!

    ReplyDelete