Saturday 30 July 2011

Why you should know how

True HDR is just a shot that has a High Dynamic Range, no more no less.

I'm mindful of what my camera can capture, while it doesn't dictate what I shoot, I'll try to frame the shot in a way that lets me capture as much info as the camera is capable of capturing. You should know your cameras limitations; If anything you should embrace them and get the most out of them. I guess we all know now that a camera is just not capable of capturing everything the eye can.

Old one shot's still got it


The brightness levels in this shot taken on the South bank in London,
Is within the dynamic range of my camera. I knew that already just as
I knew it when I shot Ange with the zippo. The light in this scene
was twice as bright as the shot of Ange. You can't tell that as I
exposed for the light. It's not something the viewer needs to know
but it's important that I knew it


Now of course you shouldn't be thinking about these things if you're looking at photographs. But you should know about it; You should know about it because you're a picture maker, you should understand it because shooting without knowing what you're doing is like shooting without intent or arriving at a destination and not knowing how you got there.

It has nothing to do with style, it's invisible. You never thank a writer for spelling well or having correct grammar (Something I struggle with). You never thank a musician for staying in tune


You learn it, so you can forget about it.


"Develop an infallible technique, then put yourself at the mercy of inspiration."

Zen maxim

No comments:

Post a Comment