Friday 29 July 2011

HDR

Has the blood run from your veins, Kras?


I know, I know... It does the same to me. But fear yee not! You're noting going to see some acid trip landscape. I'm just going to waffle about my first go with some HDR software. I just want to use it to control dynamic range, I'm not after cranking it up to 11.

I've been testing two bits of software. Nik HDR Pro and Photomatix which are the big players in HDR software. This is not an in depth review of the software, I know very little about either of them but when it comes to trying to keep your photographs looking like an actual photographs, Photomatix gets my vote. It's just been easier to achieve and I'm sure I'll get better at it as it's my first time

Boring but a good test, three shots from inside our lounge looking out to the garden.
Each shot is 2 stops apart












So I loaded them in to Photomatix and here's the result


As a first attempt I'm quite pleased with the test result. Shot on a tripod naturally, but there are options for hand holding that I haven't tried. I can see some banding and I'll look in to that. Might  need another shot or two as that's quite a high contrast range to deal with. I'm sure I'll get better results with more use


Edit:

Seems a much easier deal outside. I'd personally find it hard to tell that is was an HDR shot. In fact because of the Dynamic range it's quite film like (click on the shot)

Three shots from 1/125 sec to 1/1000 sec

5 comments:

  1. HDR? what is that lol! every one is using it! Like back in the seventies everyone was using Cokin. It's shit . . . . plain and simple. A style that is so fast out of date and not even a good style in that is in date in my view.

    I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People forget sometimes about why they photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Combing shots to control dynamic range is older than 35mm film and is a legitimate tool. People ruining good photographs is another time honoured tradition and like all things its seldom down to the tool but its misuse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I was on Tea all night, Ken. What were you drinking lol

    ReplyDelete