Monday 25 July 2011

You can make a small fortune in photography...

You just need to spend a large one first.


So I'm going to start charging for my photography and as I've already spent a fortune on gear it shouldn't be too painful. Having said that, my Epson R2880 just isn't going to cut it. It's a fine printer but it's only A3 and isn't intended for heavy use, it only comes with 11ml cartridges which just isn't cost effective for commercial use. It makes stunning prints and for a serious user that wants the control and enjoyment of making their own prints at homed it's hard to fault.

Have a look at this baby

It costs £3120 (ouch I know) It's 24 inches wide and will print on roll media up to the length of the roll (looooong panoramas). Epson have a cost calculator on their site. A 24x24 inch canvas print will cost £9.24 in ink and canvas, which might seem a lot until you go looking to have that done for you. Cheapest I've found so far is around £45 without delivery and they're using machines of a similar spec.

I need to cut out the middle man and take the profit for myself. I'll have to learn how to stretch and hang the canvas which I'm sure I'll manage. The 7900's big brother is Epson 9900 which can print up to a 44 inch wide and would be my dream machine I could make a lot of profit on that. I'd be limited to a width of 24 inches with the 7900 and you know how things are, people always want bigger


Anybody needing a spare kidney, please drop me a line

2 comments: